Friday, May 21, 2010

Jelly Beans

I like to leave "things" i.e. worksheets, coloring sheets, etc. on the kitchen table at night so that the boys have something new and fun to do when they wake up in the morning. I left this jelly bean number/coloring match worksheet a few weeks ago (well, actually in March) and I was so impressed with how well Jack did with absolutely no adult instruction. That night we colored around the word with the corresponding color which was next to the number inside the jelly bean (does that make sense?). This was the first time I had given him one like this and well as you can see he had no trouble at all. It was actually complete by the time I got out of the shower. He was VERY proud of himself.



It really wouldn't have been any big deal at all if he wasn't able to figure it out, but I have to admit that I was pretty happy that he was able to. Jack is starting kindergarten in a few months and with the proposed shortened day (8-11:20) and the increased class size (from 20 to 30 kids) we worry a bit about the learning environment. We know that we as parents will need to fill in where his school is falling short and thankfully I am confident that I/we can do it. However, it does ease my heart knowing that he is entering school with some good skills.

Okay, I'm done bragging, but what's a family blog for if not to brag about your kids a little :-)

2 comments:

The Beard Family of 5 said...

I'm glad you wrote that "what's a blog for if not to brag" after you showed concern for bragging. It's our pure right and requirement as a parent to brag and be happy doing it.

That's an awesome thing for you to do for them! It's a non-pressure way of stimulating fun learning. LOVE IT!!

On the Bright Side said...

I like your idea about setting out a worksheet for the next day. I'm always trying to think up ways to stay ahead of the kids in the morning. I'll have to try that one! :)